This short course requires a laptop computer with MATLAB and Blender installed.
Computer Sessions in MATLAB
- Session 1 — Generating planar gratings (MATLAB)
- Session 2 — Generating spatially-variant planar gratings (MATLAB)
- Session 3 — 2D Fourier expansion (MATLAB)
- Session 4 — Generating 2D spatially-variant lattices (MATLAB)
- Session 5 — Outputting 2D lattices to CAD (MATLAB)
- Session 6 — Handling 2D lattices in Blender (Blender)
- Session 7 — Generating 3D spatially-variant lattices (MATLAB)
- Session 8 — Outputting 3D SV lattices to CAD (MATLAB)
- Session 9 — Handling 3D lattices in Blender (Blender)
- Short Course Flyer
- MATLAB Help and Getting Started
- Download .zip file containing MATLAB SVL codes
- svlblur.p — This function performs a blur operation on the input array to smooth edges by a controllable amount.
- svlsolve.p — This function calculates the grating phase from the K-function.
- svlcad.p — This function exports a surface mesh as an STL file that can be imported into Blender or other CAD programs.
Literature on Spatially-Variant Lattices
- R. C. Rumpf, J. J. Pazos, J. L. Digaum, S. M. Kuebler, “Spatially-Variant Periodic Structures in Electromagnetics,” Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, Vol. 373, 2014.0359, July 2015.
- Raymond C. Rumpf “Engineering the Dispersion and Anisotropy of Periodic Electromagnetic Structures,” to be published in Solid State Physics, Vol. 66, 2015.
- Javier J. Pazos, “Digitally Manufactured Spatially Variant Photonic Crystals,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at El Paso, December 2014.
- Cesar R. Garcia, “3D Printed Spatially Variant Anisotropic Metamaterials,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at El Paso, May 2014.
- J. L. Digaum, J. J. Pazos, J. Chiles, J. D’Archangel, G. Padilla, A. Tatulian, R. C. Rumpf, S. Fathpour, G. D. Boreman, and S. M. Kuebler, “Tight Control of Light Beams in Photonic Crystals with Spatially-Variant Lattice Orientation,” Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 21, pp. 25788-25804, 2014.
- R. C. Rumpf, C. R. Garcia, H. H. Tsang, J. E. Padilla, M. D. Irwin, “Electromagnetic Isolation of a Microstrip by Embedding in a Spatially Variant Anisotropic Metamaterial,” PIER, Vol. 142, pp. 243-260, 2013.
- Indumathi R. Srimathi, Aaron J. Pung, Yuan Li, Raymond C. Rumpf, and Eric G. Johnson, “Fabrication of metal-oxide nano-hairs for effective index optical elements,” Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 16, pp. 18733-18741, 2013.
- R. C. Rumpf, M. Gates, C. L. Kozikowski, W. A. Davis, “Guided-Mode Resonance Filter Compensated to Operate on a Curved Surface,” PIER C, Vol. 40, pp. 93-103, 2013.
- R. C. Rumpf, J. Pazos, C. R. Garcia, L. Ochoa, and R. Wicker, “3D Printed Lattices with Spatially Variant Self-Collimation,” PIER, Vol. 139, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- R. C. Rumpf, J. Pazos, “Synthesis of Spatially Variant Lattices,” Opt. Express, Vol. 20, Issue 14, pp. 15263-15274 (2012).
- R. C. Rumpf, “Design and Optimization of Nano-Optical Elements by Coupling Fabrication to Optical Behavior,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Central Florida, 2006.